My Cart

0 Item(s): $0.00

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Nepafenac Opthalmic solution

Nepafenac Opthalmic solution

Why is this medication prescribed?

Ophthalmic nepafenac is used to treat eye pain, redness, and swelling in patients who are recovering from cataract surgery (procedure to treat clouding of the lens in the eye). Nepafenac is in a class of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by stopping the production of certain natural substances that cause pain and swelling.

How should this medicine be used?

Ophthalmic nepafenac comes as a suspension (liquid) to instill in the eyes. It is usually instilled three times a day beginning one day before cataract surgery, on the day of the surgery, and for 14 days after the surgery. Use nepafenac eye drops at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use nepafenac eye drops exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of them or use them more often than prescribed by your doctor.

Side Effects

This medication may temporarily sting or burn your eyes for 1-2 minutes when applied. Eye redness and headache may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: eye swelling/pain, eye discharge/extreme watering, vision changes.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)

Overdose

This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.

What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?

Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom).

Unneeded medications should be disposed of in special ways to ensure that pets, children, and other people cannot consume them. However, you should not flush this medication down the toilet. Instead, the best way to dispose of your medication is through a medicine take-back program. Talk to your pharmacist or contact your local garbage/recycling department to learn about take-back programs in your community. See the FDA's Safe Disposal of Medicines website (http://goo.gl/c4Rm4p) for more information if you do not have access to a take-back program.

It is important to keep all medication out of sight and reach of children as many containers (such as weekly pill minders and those for eye drops, creams, patches, and inhalers) are not child-resistant and young children can open them easily. To protect young children from poisoning, always lock safety caps and immediately place the medication in a safe location – one that is up and away and out of their sight and reach.

Loading...